Wednesday 28 July 2010

To be somebody...

There I was, sitting in the office pondering various sales targets whilst trying to speak to people I desperatley needed to contact who had seemingly disappeared off the face off the planet at the worst time possible. At that moment the phone rang, it was yet another client expecting me to work twice as hard but for a massive discount on the standard fee we would charge...

"It's the recession" they said, it's what they all said, here I am with my own rent and bills to pay, barely scraping by, merely existing from month to month and they wanted to talk to me about the recession! At that moment, barely two months ago, I made up my mind that I wasn't going to put up with mediocrity anymore, I was sick of having no control over my life, I loved the people I worked with, my boss was great but it just wasn't me, I wasn't achieving anything and most importantly I wasn't making a difference in the world.

When I was six I told my parents I wanted to spend my life diving with sharks and making films, just like my heroes, Ron and Valerie Taylor, but here I was at thirty-one, sitting in a stuffy office, spending all day wishing I was somewhere else, I would wake up on Monday morning with that sense of dread, so on that Monday morning I made a decision...I quit.

Don't get the wrong idea, I'm skint, my parents are skint, everyone I know is skint so I didn't have a safety net, the only safety net I have is my belief in myself and what I can achieve when I put my mind to it. I had already built a band from nothing, with no support (particularly financial) to one which appeared in Joel McIver's A-Z of the most important Rock bands in the world, shifting hundreds of thousands of EP's, albums and downloads and becoming one of the most critically acclaimed and popular underground Metal bands in the country. I figured the absolute desperation of my situation would drive me to achieve what everyone had told me to give up dreaming about so six weeks ago I set about realising the first of my many shark based ambitions...

Last year I wrote an article that appeared in the August 2009 edition of DIVER magazine which had managed to make it's way around the world. A couple of months ago I discovered my article had been posted on various websites and blogs with some highly complimentary feedback from some serious individuals within the shark world. I tracked one of these individuals down and formulated the idea for a film I wanted to make. In the space of a week I had gained full access to the story I wanted, I just needed the money to make it!

Just to remind you, I am skint, I certainly can't afford to pay for it, and so here begins my quest to make this film happen, the endless telephone conversations, emails and door knocking, all in a race against time before I lose my flat, end up homeless and have to go back to work, undoubtedly doing something I hate!

See, that's the thing about me, most people would imagine coming face to face with a large predatory shark to be their idea of hell, to me that is heaven, sitting in an office, clockwatching, making endless phone calls and wearing a suit is hell. It is that motivation that pushes me to achieve what I know I am capable of.

In the grand scheme of things, I am a nobody, but this nobody has so far managed to secure the services of an award winning underwater cameraman and interest from two major production companies, interested in discussing the posibility of making this film happen and a number of organisations who are discussing with me, the possibility of becoming involved. That's the point of this blog, I want to show all of you, also made to feel like nobodies by the restraints on your life through work, family and what you perceive to be your own boundaries that sometimes risks pay off and that ordinary people like you and I can achieve extraordinary things.

Great achievements happen through two two major factors, inspiration and perspiration. I would say that perspiration makes up 90% of this equation, the inspiration is covered, I have a great idea, a few great ideas actually but the perspiration is the hard bit! You may be asking where luck falls into this, I am firmly of the belief the harder you work the luckier you get, I also don't want to be relying on luck given my current situation!

I would imagine every person who reads this blog has a dream and that 99% of you haven't achieved that dream yet, hopefully I can show you that it is possible. I am an ordinary bloke from Manchester with an extraordinary passion for sharks, your passions may differ from mine but if I can help you go for it and realise at least some of your ambitions, I would consider that a pretty good result!

So here it is, Wednesday July 28th, I have no money, most likely won't have anywhere to live soon but I have a great idea, okay I have had interest in my idea, but at this stage all I have in the world is a great idea, passion, enthusiasm, knowledge and self belief...Should be one hell of a journey!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice one mate. I genuinely hope it works out for you. Gary (pbr)

Unknown said...

It can be done. There is no way that life can stop you if you want it badly enough. Sure there will be sacrifices along the way but isn't it worth it? If you are doing what you love then you will find a way. Good luck and keep on posting on here to let us know what's happening!

OfficetoOcean said...

Thanks for that Gary, it is much appreciate and thanks for reading :)

OfficetoOcean said...

Thanks Jonathan, you obviously share my attitude, it's great to see some positivity!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with it KF - Julie x

Anonymous said...

If your passion and belief count for anything, you'll achieve your ambition. Good luck mate, look forward to reading about your progress. Fudders.

Anonymous said...

Best of luck with it mate.
Try not to get eaten, or at least make sure you get it on film if you do :D, RRR

Anonymous said...

That was a great read Dave and I totally understand the financial side of things but you have such a passion for sharks and it is good that someone is doing all they can to protect them. I admire your determination and with such a positive outlook your future will be bright, good luck with the film.....Jan X

Tim P said...

Mate, knowing you as I do I know you'll make this happen. Never lose hope. Never lose faith. The belief and work I know you'll put in will carry you through. An inspiration for us all - Tim

Martin Bellamy said...

Good luck from one of those clients who rang up wanting a fee reduction!

Thansk for your help in the past - I hope your dream comes true.

Martin

OfficetoOcean said...

Ha! Thanks Martin, it was always a pleasure working with you and Alison, the people I worked with and clients like yourself and Alison always made up for the things that weren't so great. I hope you guys continue to go from strength to strength :)

Unknown said...

Positive thoughts and best wishes go with you, nobody knows when their numbers up so go for it now. Who needs a house anyway, the best sleep I had was under the stars in Africa.
Good Luck and happiness
Trudy

David said...

Thanks for your comment Trudy, you're absolutely right, everybody dies but how man people actually live?

Lisa said...

Here I am sitting at my desk, in my very own stuffy office, thinking the exact same thought as you. You have done what I picture myself doing every single day, being a single mother, makes taking that step so much harder. So I sign the petitions to save the sharks, I dive and admire them as often as I can, I just need to take that step... but I'm not sure how to. This story gives me hope, and brings tears to my eyes

OfficetoOcean said...

That's a lovely comment. Thank you so much Lisa, I'm glad this has touched a nerve with you.

Keep the faith and retain that hope, you can do it!!